Razor wire or barbed wire. Which one to choose.
Razor wire and barbed wire two common security elements all around the world in order to protect boundaries from human or animal crossing. Barbed and razor wire are serving for the same purpose but they have some different features. They both have some positive and negative ways against each other and it is a common comparison that the users wonder. As Saglam Fence Company, we will give you useful information about them. What is the razor wire fence and where is it used? What are barbed wire and installation areas? Which one is more suitable for where? You will have valuable information about these questions when you read this article.
When we compare the frequency of use, barbed wire is the winner by far. The main reasons for this winning are:
- Barbed wire is cheaper than the razor,
- If the security issues are not so important,
- For only impressing boundaries barbed is practical.
Barbed wire has a low level of deterrence when compared with the razor. So, this will make razor wire more useful for high-security and no-trespassing required places or facilities.
The Differences Between the Barbed Wire and Razor Wire
We can categorize the differences into two groups; the purpose and the cost. According to these aspects, both razor and barbed have superior ways on the other. Here are the main differences:
- The edges of the razor wire are so sharp that in case of a possible passing, razor-like edges can rip and snag the clothes and flesh of the intruder. So it is so hard for a person to pass razors without help from another person or a special tool.
- The barbed wire doesn’t cut the flesh, only make scratches on it. So an intruder can easily pass this, but although it is low, barbed has a deterrence effect.
- Razor wire is more durable against barbed wire. Weather conditions and some other external effects can’t harm or wear off the razor easily. Barbed is also durable but not as much az razor.
- Razor has a more frightening appearance than the barbed wire which increases the deterrence effect.
- Installation of razor wire is harder because of the professional assistance about the sharp barbs which is not easy to bend around. Barbwire is way a lot easier because just fences, wire, and staples are enough to establish.
- The maintenance of the barbwire is easier because the fence doesn’t wear out easily if the establishment is done right. But the razor has a bigger amount of strain, so it is harder for fixing and maintenance.
- As the razor is more professional and uses higher quality material, the cost is bigger than the barbed wire.
These are the main differences between them.
The Places of Use
As both razor wire and barbed wire are stressing the boundaries and the aim is security, there are so many uses of areas for them. From the highly important country borders to a small farm to indicate the lines, for many reasons we use wires. The main use of places are:
- Borders between the counties,
- Military zones,
- Fields (plantation),
- Residential areas (single houses or collective housing)
- Areas that include chemical, radioactive or other types of dangerous materials.
Where to Use Razor Wire
As we mentioned, razor wire is the right choice for high-security places. Country borders and military zones are ideal for the razor. Both for preventing unauthorized entries and deterrence, razor wire is effective.
On the other hand, individual use at residences or estates is also possible and effective. There may be some restrictions in some countries or regions but most of the countries don’t forbid the use of it.
Where to Use Barbed Wire
On the other hand, barbed wire is ideal for schools, estates, fields, and residential areas. The most well-known use of barbed wire is around the plantation or the fields in order to prevent the livestock from entering. Barbed wire is cheaper and gives less harm to trespassers. If it is needed, borders of school or collective housing are cheaply and ideally surrounded by barbed wire.
In a conclusion, if the security is a high-level razor, and if it is medium or low barbed wire is more logical.
Which one is Cheaper
As we also mentioned about the cost, razor wire is more expensive than barbed wire. Barbed wire is cheaper even when we compare their prices per unit. Razor is more expensive because the raw material has more quality and the laboring is more complicated. It is riskier and harder to establish.
Razor Wire Prices
The razor wire prices are considered in two types: flat form and helical. The flatform is cheaper than the helical. The prices we will provide here are average prices and vary according to the desired features. For more and detailed pricing, you can contact us via mail or phone number +90 212 597 11 91.
The metric price of the 45cm diameter flat type is 10,45 ₺, and 13,90 ₺ for the helical form. And for the 90cm diameter, 17,35 ₺ for flat and 13,90 ₺ for helical. The prices are for the stainless 304 type razor wire.
Barbed Wire Prices
Barbed wire prices are also according to two types; galvanized and PVC. The galvanized price is 2,25 ₺ per kg and 0,20 ₺ per meter. And the PVC prices are 3,5 ₺ per kg and 0,325 ₺ per meter.
For more information and assistance please contact us. As Saglam Company, our experienced personnel is always ready to answer your question and assist you.